Sunday, 7 July 2013

Sowing the Seed

Welcome to my new gardening blog named in honour of my Nan who introduced me to the delights of growing things.  I am an enthusiastic amateur gardener.  I make mistakes but also have successes in the garden too.   The purpose of this blog is to exchange gardening information and learn from one another regarding our gardening exploits.

I believe that the flower above is of a Californian Poppy (Eschscholzia, Papaveraceae) which must have self seeded in my garden from the previous year.

Back in April, I sowed some Sarah Raven seeds directly into raked earth called Cottage Garden Mix.  The mix was supposed to contain zinnias, cosmos and malopes but they have yet to come to light.  The previous year I sowed Sarah Raven's Pictorial Meadows Classic Annual Mix and I believe that the poppy must have self seeded from back then.  The trouble with pre-mixed seeds is you can't be absolutely sure of what you are going to get as I know from my experience over the last two years.

Next year I am going to make up my own mixture so I don't have any 'nasty' surprises such as the Phacelia Tanacetifolia that cropped up unexpectedly in last years mix!  I think I may experiment with wildflower mixes in pots too to see which combinations are the most pleasing.

Preparing ahead:
Winter job: Make a note of this in diary for Dec, Jan, Feb. Scour seed catalogues and look for individual packets of seeds to make up mixes with e.g. Cosmos, Black-Eyed Susan, Larkspur, Cornflower etc.

9 comments:

  1. You are officially on my follower list!
    Julie xxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful poppy. :)
    This year I mixed my own sweet peas, picking out individual colours I like, no blooms yet but looking forward to them.
    Best wishes for your new blog!
    V xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely poppy. Best wishes for your new blog.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good luck with this new endeavour Simone.
    I wonder why you didn't like Phacelia Tanacetifolia? I thought it was good for attracting bees.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Toffeeapple! The reason I didn't like Phacelia Tanacetifolia is there was just too much of it and it wasn't supposed to be in the mix. In the right place I am sure it is lovely, just not in my garden! :-)

      Delete
  5. We had some cosmos, cornflower and zinnia seeds in pots from Ikea with little blocks of compost that expanded in water. Once planted they all grew in the greenhouse but as soon as we planted them out only the cosmos and cornflower have survived the slugs have taken all the zinnias. Good luck with your new blog:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello, lovely to view a garden blog from you, will get it on my reading list! Xxx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Good luck with the new blog Simone!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Congratulations on your new blog Simone. I'm not much of a gardener so I'm sure to learn a thing or 2 by reading your blog.

    ReplyDelete