Monday, 15 July 2013

Growing Tomatoes Upside Down

I left it too late to sow tomato seeds this year so jumped at the chance to buy a small tomato plant from the supermarket at the beginning of June.  I presumed it was a cordon variety but didn't want the hassle of staking it or indeed pinching it out. I decided to try growing it upside down as a trailing tomato.  I knew that the stems would naturally grow up towards the light but the weight of the tomatoes would bring them back down.

I reused an old hanging basket that had a hole in the bottom, lined it with a plastic bag that I had punctured with holes, pushed the tomato plant up through the large hole and filled up with multi-purpose compost.  Six weeks later I have a plant that is thriving and covered in clusters of mini tomatoes.  I will definitely use this method of growing again.

9 comments:

  1. Brilliant, so glad your little experiment worked, just look at all those tomatoes . :)
    V xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Looking good so far... be interested to see how it goes as the plant gets bigger!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another great idea, especially if your don't have a greenhouse. And already you've got a great crop to look forward to. I was late with mine too and they are only just in flower. Hope there's an Indian Summer!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll keep that idea in mind for next year - thank you
    Julie xxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Lovely blog, Simone! This is a great idea! My dad used to have a huge vegetable garden, but I think the gardening gene skipped a generation! My daughter has the green thumb, not I!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your blog is great, Simone! Like your topsy-turvy tomatoes too!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Geraldine! Thanks for popping over!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great idea your tomatoes look healthy and they should ripen soon in all this sunshine:)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Don't they look good? Are they red yet?

    I have heard that Runner Beans can be grown in this fashion too.

    ReplyDelete