Monday, 22 July 2013

French Beans

This year I am growing two types of French bean from The Real Seed Catalogue.  They are a great company and supply good quality seeds.  Here is what they say;

'You'll find no F1 hybrids or genetically modified seed here - just varieties that do really well and taste great when grown by hand on a garden scale. The name of the catalogue reflects what we are working to provide: real seeds for real gardeners wanting to grow proper vegetables.'

I am growing 'Cherokee Trail of Tears' Pole bean which is a climber and 'Minidor'Yellow Bush bean which doesn't need any type of support.  I have grown both of these types before and have had good results.

If you want to save the seeds from these beans then The Real Seed Catalogue advise that you keep the different varieties 6 to 12 feet away from each other to avoid cross-pollination.  They have some great advice and give encouragement on saving seeds from your own plants.
 
I love to eat French beans but have found British ones increasingly rare in the shops only being able to buy those from Kenya or Egypt which tend to be tough and tasteless and flown miles before they reach my plate.

Next year I must remember to sow more French beans as I only have two 'Minidor' plants and six of 'Cherokee'.  I don't suppose I will have any need of making room in the freezer for any surplus!!!

5 comments:

  1. They look so healthy Simone! :)
    V xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely! The only beans I'm growing this year are scarlet runner beans. They are really beautiful and tasty, too. I ate a tiny, thin bean yesterday when I was working in the garden. If you let them dry the beans inside are a beautiful purple.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How nice to visit your new garden inspired blog Simone! The beans look like they are doing really well! Interesting to learn about growing them too.
    Helen x

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just read your new posting on Linden Grove but I can't leave a comment again...So, I'm writing it here! I hope you're ok now and you just reminded me that I have never had a tetanus injection and I should!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello Simone,

    I just wanted to pop in and say how much I have enjoyed catching up with your recent posts on both your well-written blogs! I wanted to leave a comment on your most recent post over at Lindengrove but I cannot for the life of me find the comments box. I'm sure I must be missing something! I really like your passion for gardening!

    Warmest wishes,

    Stephanie

    ReplyDelete